I lived in Edinburgh for a year working in a hotel while doing my dissertation on Scotch Whisky and how it affected Tourism in Scotland. During my stay there I visited a lot of places that I intent to write about since the place is magical. So one of my favorite trips was in St Andrews Scotland.
St. Andrews is located on the east coast of Fife in Scotland. It is known worldwide as “the home of golf”. It is also famous for it’s university, which the oldest university in Scotland and third in the UK following Oxford and Cambridge. St. Andrews university had many famous alumni like Prince William and Kate Middleton.
How to get there
From Edinburgh is approximately 70 minutes and from Glasgow 90 minutes
The rail station is called Leuchars Rail Station and it’s 10 minutes by road from the city center. Taxis and a public bus service, taking you to the city center are available just outside the railway station.
Using Traveline Scotland – http://www.travelinescotland.com/welcome.do
What to do
- If you are a golf aficionado why not play golf.
- Visit some historical building like:Blackfriars Chapel
- St Andrews Cathedral ruins which was once the largest church in Scotland.
- Chapel of St Mary’s on the rock
- St Andrews Castle which once used to be a fortress, a palace and a prison.
- Walk by the seaside, which was my personal favorite.
- Stroll around the city roads and have some tea and dessert in the cute tearooms.